An independent board manages the Opportunity Area, bringing together senior leaders from schools, communities, business, and central and local government.
Anne-Marie Canning MBE
Independent Chair of Bradford Opportunity Area and Director of Social Mobility and Student Success, King’s College London
“I am passionate about working with others to make Bradford’s social mobility aspirations a reality. I grew up in one of the poorest postcodes in Yorkshire and attended a school where fewer than 1 in 5 children secured decent GCSEs. My life was transformed by a university summer school and the brilliant education it unlocked for me. I share my story because it shows what is possible when people are given a chance. It shows that talent can be found in every nook and cranny – if you look hard enough. I have dedicated my career to helping talented young people from less advantaged backgrounds to access and succeed in higher education.”
Partnership board members
- Christian Bunting: Director, Bradford Birth to 19 teaching school alliance
- Clare Hutchinson: Head of Network and Area Manager, The Careers and Enterprise Company
- Duncan Jacques CBE: CEO and executive principal, Exceed Academies Trust
- Cllr Imran Khan: Deputy Leader and Education Lead, Bradford Council
- Mark Mon-Williams: Professor of Cognitive Psychology and Professor of Psychology, Bradford Institute of Health Research
- Gladys Rhodes-White OBE: Interim Strategic Director, Bradford Council Children’s Services
- Will Richardson: Senior Partner, Price Waterhouse Cooper (PwC)
- Janice Stephenson: Headteacher, Newby Primary School
- Sir Nick Weller: CEO and Executive Principal of Dixons Academies Trust – Bradford’s Education Endowment Foundation
- Professor Shirley Congdon: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), University of Bradford
The meetings are also attended by the regional schools commissioner, the DfE head of delivery and area lead, who advise and support the partnership board.