An independent board manages the Opportunity Area, bringing together senior leaders from schools, communities, business, and central and local government.
Anne-Marie Canning MBE
Independent Chair of Bradford Opportunity Area and Director of Social Mobility and Student Success, King’s College London
“I am passionate about working with others to make Bradford’s social mobility aspirations a reality. I grew up in one of the poorest postcodes in Yorkshire and attended a school where fewer than 1 in 5 children secured decent GCSEs. My life was transformed by a university summer school and the brilliant education it unlocked for me. I share my story because it shows what is possible when people are given a chance. It shows that talent can be found in every nook and cranny – if you look hard enough. I have dedicated my career to helping talented young people from less advantaged backgrounds to access and succeed in higher education.”
Partnership board members
- Duncan Jacques CBE, CEO of Exceed Academies Trust
- Daniel Copley, Executive Headteacher at St Cuthbert & The First Martyrs’ Catholic Primary School and St Francis Catholic Primary School.
- Janice Stephenson, former Headteacher, Newby Primary School
- Christian Bunting, Director, Bradford Birth to 19 Teaching School Alliance
- Corinne Templeman, Regional Lead, North East, Careers and Enterprise Company
- Prof Shirley Congdon, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), University of Bradford
- Kersten England, Chief Executive of Bradford Council
- Will Richardson, Senior Partner, Price Waterhouse Cooper (PwC)
- Sir Nick Weller, CEO and Executive Principal of Dixons Academies Trust, including Bradford’s Research School
- Cllr Imran Khan, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Education, Bradford Council
- Prof Mark Mon-Williams, Professor of Cognitive Psychology and Professor of Psychology, Bradford Institute of Health Research
- Vicky Beer, Regional Schools Commissioner for Lancashire and West Yorkshire
- Naveed Mushtaque, Community Learning Manager at Horton Park Primary School
The meetings are also attended by the regional schools commissioner, the DfE head of delivery and area lead, who advise and support the partnership board.