There are 2,500 children in Bradford who need glasses but either haven’t got any or aren’t wearing them in school. This is affecting literacy attainment.
30% of children identified as needing glasses through in-school vision screening tests do not attend a further detailed eye examination, whilst 50% of those who do fail to wear their corrective glasses.
For every line on the vision chart a child’s vision is reduced by their literacy score drops by 1.5%.
Bradford Opportunity Area is supporting a Born in Bradford study to get free glasses for children that need them to improve literacy attainment.
If your school wants to be a part of this study to improve literacy attainment please contact:
Dr. Alison Bruce, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The study will be aimed at 4-5 year old children.
- Vision screening assessments in reception will be conducted in all participating schools.
- 50% of participating schools; 2 pairs of corrective glasses will be issued to children who need them (one pair to be kept in school).
- 50% of schools to act as a comparator.
- At the end of the study Born in Bradford aim to provide a pair of school glasses for children in all participating schools.